HPWS is a set of H.R policies and practices which are designed to strengthen organization as well as employee’s effectiveness, e.g. Selection, training, performance, feedback and compensation. HPWS positively effects employee’s behavior (Job satisfaction, organizational commitment etc.) which results in enhanced organizational citizenship behavior of employees.
COMPONENTS OF HPWS:
1) HR METRICS:
HR metrics are measurements used to determine company’s performance and effectiveness of HR initiatives mostly includes employee turnover rate, hours of training per employee, return on human capital, qualified applicants per position etc.
Minneapolis food producer and distributer Cargill Inc. was strolling to engage and motivate its 155,000 employees worldwide then it became a true trend setter in 2012 when it introduced its “Everyday performance management “system designed to incorporate daily encouragement and feedback into on the job conversations. Cargill says its seen measurable improvements after managers began giving constructive feedback that was forward looking, instead of reviewing what had happened in the past.
2) WHAT EMPLOYERS MUST DO TO HAVE HIGH PERFORMANCE WORK SYSTEM:
• Employers must take such steps to run high performance work system,
• Provide compensation and promotional opportunities in order to enhance employee motivation.
• Invest more on employee training and development in order to enhance their abilities and skills.
• Employees should be provided with complete resources in order to complete their jobs effectively.
These are some of the practices that must be completed in order to utilize employee’s efficiency completely.
3) ASPIRE TO HELP EMPLOYEES TO MANAGE THEMSELVES:
• Give employees suitable empowerment and respective authorities.
• Allow them to set their own goals and also schedule to accomplish their self-made goals.
• Involve them in decision making and take their advices and concerns in notice.
4) HIGHLIGHT THE MAJOR DIFFERENCE BETWEEN HPWS ORGANIZATION AND THE OTHER (WHO DO NOT FOLLOW HPWS) ORGANIZATION:
HIGH PERFORMANCE ORGANIZATION
They is Internally focused.
They are Customer focused.
They have bureaucratic structure.
They have self –regulating work units.
Planning and coordination carried/done by management.
Planning and coordination are carried by work teams.
The jobs are defined as specialization and narrowly
Jobs are broadly defined, As per employees possess multiple skills.
processes and procedures are usually unclear
Documentation and clarity of core processes and procedures.
Department boundaries defined by functions. (E.g. Engineering, manufacturing, etc.)
Department boundaries determined to leverage competitive advantage (task inter-relationship, customer, product or process focused).
They mostly focuses on technical skills training
Training focuses on total employee development
Reward based on individual/per employee perfomance
Rewards based on contributions to effectiveness team.
Employee are used as tools of management. Employee used as partners.